A Famosa or Kota A Famosa in Malay which means “The Famous” in Portuguese, is a former Portuguese fortress located in Melaka, Malaysia. It is among the oldest surviving European architectural remains in Southeast Asia and the Far East.
The fortress once consisted of long ramparts and four major towers. The fort changed hands however in 1641 when the Dutch drove the Portuguese out of Melaka. The Dutch renovated the gate in 1670, which explains the logo “ANNO 1670” inscribed on the gate’s arch. Above the arch is a bas-relief logo of the Dutch East India Company.
The Porta de Santiago, a small gate house, is the only part of the fortress which still remains today.